Trekn Route

>> Thursday, May 28, 2009


View Larger Map


Here is our Itinerary with tentative dates.

5 comments:

Onna Holland June 4, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

OMG Jackie and Kevin!! What an adventure!! I had no idea!! How did you manage to do this? What a great trip! I look forward to following your trip!

Onna

Rainman June 9, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

When seeing the pandas in Chengdu, ask about holding a red panda which I believe was only a few American dollars. I was able to sit down with one and feed it apple slices.

I noticed you're going to Dali! You've probably heard of the nearby Lijiang City which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I highly recommend checking out this beautifully preserved city--especially the architecture and waterways that make up the Old Town. You can (and will want to) get lost in the vast system of alleys and walkways. Check out the pictures and description here if you'd like to learn a bit more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Town_of_Lijiang

Last thing. You may want to check out the Xinjiang Uyghur (pronounced wigger) Autonomous Region, China's minority province in the far Northwest. Mostly consumed by the Gobi desert, it is populated by a predominantly Muslim demographic with beautiful mosques scattered everywhere. It is easy to fly into their capital, Urumqi (pronounced woo-loo-moo-chee). From there you can take a flight to Kashgar, considered the religious heart of Islam in China. Kashgar hosts the largest mosque in China as well as the tomb of the prophet Abakh Khoja, who is second only to Mohammed in their eyes. There's a quote calling it "the best-preserved example of a traditional Islamic city to be found anywhere in central Asia." The city is said to have the largest bazaar in Asia. While I was in the region I saw a diverse mix of Russian, Kazakhstani, Tajikistani, and Kyrgyzstani culture which was amazing. You can find out more on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashgar

There are round-trip flights to Urumqi from Beijing for 700 USD (China Southern Airlines) and train tickets from Urumqi to Kashgar are as low as 20 dollars. This is just an idea. You'll have fun no matter where you guys go this summer, so do your thing and have a nice adventure!

Jennie June 11, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

How is everything going? you must be having a great time because I haven't heard from you
mom

Slam Peice 03 July 10, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

OKKKKK. Just looked at the Excel doc.
First, you WOULD have an Excel document on a backpacking trip around the world. Haha.

Second, December!! December!!! What about Thanksgiving?? I need your soup!

Lauren July 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

WOW! Those pics are amazing!!!! Next time you take a pic of the toliet.. remember to flush!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This blog has been created by Kevin and Jackie in order to keep in touch with friends and family and to maintain a record of our trip. We have also created this blog as a resource of information and advice for other travelers.

We plan to travel for approximately five months; depending on how long our money lasts and how we feel. We begin our trip in Switzerland followed by southeast Asia and China where we will spend the majority of our time and plan to end our trip in India.

This blog is a work in progess and will improve and evolve over time. Our goal is to update this blog a least once a week with entries, photos, and videos. Please feel free to leave feedback and comments!

Recent Posts

Countries

   Modified Autumn Leaves©

Back to TOP