Headed to Sumatra?
>> Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Or at least we thought we were. It turns out that you cannot take a ferry from Lumut, Malaysia to Belawan, Indonesia anymore. We had read from a couple of news articles that a new route with 2 brand new ferries opened up in 2007 but they have already been discontinued. We should have known something was up when the owner of the hostel in KL looked at us funny when we said we would leave from Lumut.
Not to worry though. We had a nice dinner on the water in Lumut and managed to rebook a new night bus ticket to Georgetown, Malaysia where we will take a ferry (which we know exists) to Sumatra.
We will be going to Lake Toba for a couple of nights, Berastagi to hike a volcano and then head over to Bukit Lawang to hang out with some orangutans. We should be staying in Sumatra from about 10 to 14 days. We decided against flying this time so we could be more flexible with dates. All is well from on the road and we were both really surprised to find wifi in Lumut!
(We updated the banners so keep hitting F5 to see a new picture; theres 14 now!)
13 comments:
Glad to see so many of you are concerned about us considering all of the comments we received on this post.
But just in case you really are, we made it to Sumatra! We are currently at the biggest lake in Southeast Asia, Lake Toba. It is beautiful here!
All is well and we will be in touch soon!
Hi Guys,
Since we had a "verbal" commentary we felt the written word could not compete! After looking at some of the latest photos and the modes of transport...I would recommend a new travel agent!
Looks like our families are all traveling...Lauren and Abdy arrived back home from Europe. I am leaving for UK and Belgium tomorrow. Anna is also leaving tomorrow for Stockholm...... Whew... A lot of air traffic and the accommodations are expected to be a bit better!
May your travels continue in safety, health and harmony with everyone you meet.
Love
Daddio/Anna
guys, i don't know how you left bira beach, the pictures looked like paradise it was so gorgeous. glad you guys are having fun, miss you both!
p.s. have i mentioned how jealous i am of you both ha. can't wait for the next update!
Jackie,
I know I'm a little early over here , but on time by you... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU :-) .
You will have the most special, adventures, interesting, for sure far away Birthday, one you will always remember.
All the best, a big hug and a special birthday kiss for you girl.
Enjoy.. miss you and Kevin
Love Edith
Thanks for thinking of me on my Birthday. I had a wonderful birthday; one to remember. The day was spent watching orangutans by a river side in the jungle followed by swimming and relaxation. The following day was spent trekking through the jungle and camping there for a night! Quite a memorable experience.
We have returned from the jungle and are leaving Indonesia. We plan to spend some time on Malaysia's main land and an Island in the northeast.
We will be in touch soon.
THIS is a little late but...HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK!!
Miss you guys, may you have many pleasant, cortex-expanding, adventure-infused treks.
Stay safe,
Jesse
the photo's are really crazy.....snakes, lizards, spiders,monkeys,locals AND Canadians!!! That's going to take a lot of wind out of your sails on your next trip to a US zoo.
I must say, I really like Kevin's beard....it suites him although it does look like he has lost weight.(big bowls of pasta for you when you get back) And Jackie...those arm muscles!....looking good!
miss you both
mom
Just checked out your photos...got some good ones there. I like the kittens- are they sweet? They look adorable. We miss you!! You look sooo over it in your airport picture (OVER IT!). I hate snakes and Kevin is super brave to touch even a dead snake- coulda been faking?? Gross, I hate them. I love love love the monkeys- especially the baby. I cannot WAIT to hear about your adventures. I agree with your Mom, I like Kev's beard. It looks nice. Joe's is sparce and I hate it, which just makes him grow it more. Okay, this comment is getting long. Keep the pics coming!
I'm glad everyone enjoyed the pictures; just wait till you see the videos. The internet is a bit slow here so i can't promise that we will be able to upload any soon, but we will try.
The animals were really exciting to see especially while we were out in the wild. We were lucky to see so much. I'm glad the python was already dead though. That would have been scary rather than exciting.
Great new pics! Looks like you guys are having the time of your life! Enjoy every minute. Makes me want to come over to join you for a while (after all I maxed out on my 10 weeks accrued vacation limit) - well, don't worry, maybe not, the 30+ year difference would probably slow you down a tad, so I leave you alone. And don't worry about the viper in the roof either. You are not in its food chain. That python on the other hand might have been a different story – so watch out Jackie!
Oh, by the way, you two seem to be slacking off again. The text still talks about going to Sumatra ….?
We love those Tea hills! I bet harvest is a bit tricky on those slopes....as for the fertilizer pellets.....well...there could have been worse forms used!
Kevin - I must say you have mastered the art of self-portraits with those long arms you would think someone else took the photo! You both look great..
So it's good to see Starbuck's has dominated the globe and amazing that it can be successful in countries that thrive on tea in their cultures.!
So after following your travels, I don't know if I should buy stock in Starbuck's or Skype!
Enjoy your next destination.... I am now doing to have some Indian food! yum...yum...
So Stefan, 10 weeks accrued vacation time... Hmmm, just think you could have been with them from the start! They are at their 10 week point! maybe you take the next 10!
BTW - you may slow them down on the uphills, but not the downhills!
John, yeah 10 weeks sort of sneak up on you over the years but then some say you may not want to take it all in one piece. Who knows, after that much time away they may have figured out they can do without you. Sarcastic folks call it self-financed severance package.
Post a Comment