On the Move Again
>> Tuesday, June 30, 2009
We're heading out of Kuala Lumpur already, but this time with a little bit more planning. We are flying to Manado in North Sulawesi (Indonesia) where we will be staying a night. In the morning we are heading over land to Gorontalo in the south where we will be catching a overnight ferry to the Togian Islands.
We can't guarantee that there will be to much going on with the website while we're on the islands since there is no internet. We are planning anywhere from a 10 to 14 day stay on the islands. There is a phone on the island.
In the meantime, feel free to leave us comments to come back to! Also, we went through our pictures again last night and found a whole bunch we forgot to post from Switzerland. So if you're not sick of Switzerland pictures we have uploaded two new albums. We also uploaded some Bangkok, Singapore, Tioman Island, and Kuala Lumpur pictures.
You can find them all here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lwptb54
27 comments:
hey guys!
sounds like you guys are having a blast. you also have the best travel blog i've seen. keep up the good work.
miss you jackie!
Wow what a journey! i guess you are officially traveling during peak season so you will have to "plan" your way ahead. Back home we've had record rain but should be a beautiful 4th of July - hope you find some Americans and fireworks to celebrate the day. We miss you and look forward to your adventures in paradise! BTW -you are both great writers!
Love Daddio and Anna
Well it's Friday Morning.....a holiday for the Americans....if you recall..
Sitting on the deck enjoying the morning sunrise...on the furniture you two helped assemble, I might add. Sipping my cappuccino....surfing the web....just waiting for the next blog update....
PS - your photos are amazing quality and composition of course! I am working on Anna to convince her that she needs one of the Lumix TS1! Am getting very close to winning this discussion.
Love
Daddio/Anna
Misc Ramblings............
OK. So it's still Friday morning....looking for the 2nd cup of java....nice breeze today...papers read.....sun shining....looks like there is a good run of fish today, as there are many boats dropping lines in the sound.
Last weekend we had the Swedes from NASDAQ over for a BBQ.....we did the formal SKOL....and enjoyed the afternoon. I made superb chicken breast (on the bone) fired with mesquite wood....yum...yum...
big decision....what shall I BBQ this weekend????
TTYL
Daddio......
To Jennie, Stefan, Edith,
I just received a short phone message from our worldly travelers. They have arrived in safely in Togian Islands and it is a very beautiful island. They sounded good , happy and impressed by the islands first impression.
They advised it may be a 2 week gap before we hear from them again, if they do not find a phone. All is well and our spirits are with them.....Really going to miss those Blog updates!!
John/Anna
John,
Thanks for the news. Edith is on the way back from Switzerland right now so I'll let her know when she calls.
For curiosity, I just sent a few emails to dive shops and resorts that appear to be located on Togian Islands to find out more about internet access on the islands (Kevin will probably fuss when he reads this).
Well, it was worth a try - I received 3 replys confirming that there is no internet on the islands. Apparently only spotty cell phone coverage. The people responding must not be on the island.
excellent move heading to the Tongans. I want an in-depth description of the diving.
Stefan,
Thanks for the feedback. That was an interesting approach to internet availability. I was also looking at some of the resort areas on the island....looks very nice.
When they were in JMU...a few weeks could go by before we made "contact"....Togian may be a safer haven than campus life!
yeah, it may have had something to do (at least in Kevin’s case) with those annoying parental questions like “how is your project coming along?”, “how are your grades?”, “remember you are at college to study …”, etc.
hey guys,
miss you both!! good luck in indonesia! look forward to hearing about it.
1. This is an important day in America. You better celebrate the joys of freedom, which is not free, with all the people you meet over there. Show them the joys of the greatest of American traditions...the hot dog.
2. On your way back from this great adventure, you should fly directly to New Orleans. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
3. Because I know you will probably be dying to just be home, I will give you 1 get out of jail free card. But you better come visit soon after.
4. I love you both. Keep it up.
Kevin,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!
The " Klina Pfuedi" grew into a strong young man, traveling the world with a beautiful girl :-).
Enjoy every moment.
Love you.
mom
Hey Kevin! Happy b-day bro! I hope you spent your birthday in a remote diving location that doesn't resemble anything you've ever seen. Miss you guys and hope you're having the time of your lives! Keep updating the blog; it's been amazing reading!
Hey guys! Its Kevin and Jackie. We loved your comments so much that we read them twice in a row! We laughed at almost all of them! (except for Kennys, I kid)
We really enjoyed our stay in the Togian Islands. We stayed for 8 days and decided it might be time to move on before we became permanent residents. The island has the effect of blurring time. We'll post a full story when we get wifi.
Right now we are in Ampana which is south of the Togian Islands on the mainland of Sulawesi. We are going to continue to south Sulawesi and stop at Pendolo or Tentena and then head further south to Tana Toraja. We'll stay in that area for a week or some and then head back north to North Sulawesi highlands around Manado where we will catch a flight back to KL at the end of the month.
Im posting this from one of my spam email accounts on gmail because we're at a internet cafe and do not want to log into our primary accounts because the computer had some viruses.
We'll be in touch again as soon as we can. Don't worry we are safe and healthy and miss you all!
It seems we change our mind a lot about where to go. We decided we are going to keep heading south all the way to Makassar and will take a flight out on July 24th at 19:55. Flight AK587 Air Asia.
We will have internet again when we are in Rontepao in a couple of days to check emails.
Hi Guys....
I know you will be out of contact for awhile but I just wanted to let you know Stan and I have been thinking about you both. We love the pictures!
We are up at the lake house now (july 5th)....I took Andre out at 6am this morning and came across a black bear in our driveway! I guess he was making our house his regular stop for the wild raspberries in our yard. I did go on a 3 mile power walk around the lake later that morning and don't you know I came across him again...this time in a neighbors yard! Tomorrow I'm getting bear mace...just in case. Yogi is big!
anyway, I'm sure your adventures are a lot more exciting than mine!
Love you.....mom
Hi guys,
I'm glad to hear you are safe and healthy. Did ya'll get any stomach bugs? Food poisonings?? You know I like allll the gory details.
I hope you remembered the US on the 4th :)
I'm going to see Billy Joel and Elton John tomorrow night-- so stoked on that. Of course it won't be as fun as Billy Joel with ya'll last summer though! Jack, I finished all the seasons of Lost- there were 5. That is pretty sad. I have no life. ahah. It is sooo addicting. Season 6 (the final season) starts in January.
Hi Jackie & Kevin,
We can't beat the Yogi Bear story, but we can try....We had 200 Dolphins show up on LI Sound.... chasing their dinner (herring). They were spotted all along the north shore including Northport Bay.
Weather has been wonderful this time of year.... warm with a cool breeze... good for gardening...
Miss you all,
Daddio/Anna
Hey everyone its Jackie. Bears and dolphins in NY, what has happened since i left! It all sounds very exciting though.
As for Kevin and I we are now in Rantepao in southern Sulawesi. It has been quite a trek to get here (about 3 days). We just arrived today and so far it has been great. Tomorrow we are going to a funeral...don't worry, i know what your thinking. Rantepao is well known for their elaborate ceremonies and festivities so we are looking forward to that. We also plan to do some trekking in this area later this week.
So far we have not gotten sick (i know you have all been wondering). Overall Sulawesi is a beautiful country and the people are super friendly and helpful. Our trip has however consisted of a lot of transit which has been quite interesting to say the least. We will indulge in details when we get a chance to post pictures and journal entries.
Keep up the comments, we love reading them when we get to a computer with internet. Miss you all! xoxox
I'm getting a great geography lesson from you guys...I definitely had to google Rantepao! Can't wait to see the pictures. I hope we can video cam soon...I miss seeing/hearing you.
Lauren leaves for her own adventure this fri. to London/Amsterdam......Nanny is doing well and asks about you and Kevin every time I speak to her which is every day!
All is pristine up here. Stan and I witnessed an air fight between a hungry bald eagle and a mother osprey who was saving her baby from the eagle dinner! You can't believe how big a bald eagle really is.The outcome?....looks like the eagle went hungry for now. Anyway, that was just about the most exciting thing that happened this week other than me winning the golf league's pot for the closest to the pin! A whopping $16.00 which paid for a round of drinks at the local bar. Kevin: I hope you plan on saving some energy/strength for a trip up here....we need your wood cutting skills along with some dock making engineering. Maybe you have a few friends who would like a free weekend stay up here in exchange for a little fun labor?
miss you terribly!
mom
Hey Mom,
Im glad to hear from you and to get an update on whats happening with everyone. Tell Nanny we say hello!
We are doing well here. We have had a low key couple of days since Kevin is recovering from a "bad" meal. He is doing better today though so no worries.
Tomorrow we will be on the road again heading to Makassar and then Bira in the South. We are going to spend a couple of days at the beach before we fly back to KL (where we will have good internet!!)
We are looking forward to getting in touch with everyone. We miss you all.
By the way we might take you up on that upstate offer since we will be homeless and jobless!
Hi Kevin and Jackie,
thanks Jackie for posting comments.
and to you Kevin, I'm glad you are feeling better.
Yes, this is part of the adventure to have a "bad" meal or get sick ;-(.
We all hope you will find good internet soon, looking forward to new pictures and interesting news on your great travel blog.
Safe travel
Love, mom
For those who might be concerned, we are no where near Jakarta. We heard the news.
We are in Sulawesi and will be heading south to Bira today July 17 for about 5 days. We are safe and I (Kevin) am feeling much better than I was yesterday.
We have never felt threatened once since arriving in Indonesia. They are some of the nicest people we have met so far in Asia. It's a shame that a select few of extremists can ruin the image of an entire population of really helpful and caring people.
-Kevin
Hey Guys,
I know I posted some comments but I don't know where they went! Did you read them? Weird. Anyway Andy and I are leaving today for London/Netherlands/Belgium. We are excited for the adventure ahead, seeing friends and making memories! We used google docs itinerary like you guys.. very easy to use. Can't wait to show you some pics too! Have fun! When are you going to be back in touch??? XOXO
hi guys.....
I'm always worried about you both....the world (no matter where you are) is a scary place! well maybe not in Indian Lake NY ot Aiken SC (ha ha) Please try to e-mail and let everyone know whats going on....
mom
Hey guys,
... or an old fashioned post card once in a while if there is no internet (well ... that may take weeks to get here)
Post a Comment